Monday, October 8, 2007

1st things 1st




For Christmas last year I got a sewing machine. My parents just thought I needed something to do since I was a "stay at home" pregnant lady and was bored out of my mind. I had always wanted to sew but never thought I could learn. I have an aunt who has sewn her whole life and is amazing. She has made so many adorable clothes and taught sewing and cooking to high school students for 35 years. WOW! Although I only see her once a year since she lives in Wisconsin I have always been intrigued with her abilities. So, christmas last year, we got together and she showed me all her sewing stuff and how to work the machine. I loved learning about it but she was nervous that she had given away the secret that I was getting a sewing machine for christmas. I however had no idea.

So christmas comes and I immediately begin. First I made a key. A key that had all the different stitches so I could see the different capabilities. I came home and bought fabric and my very first project was making these curtains. They were so simple. They have two straight stitches. The worst part was pre-washing the fabric and ironing it. Impatience and excitement just don't go together. All I wanted to do was start and begin creating, however, I had to do pre-work and do that carefully before beginning or it would never turn out. I still hate this to this day but I have learned some patience. The detail I pay attention to before I start will always show in the end. I know there is some important life lesson to this, I am just not sure I want to know it yet. I think the lesson in regards to fabric is overwhelming enough.

No comments: